Would you like to learn the secrets of acoustic guitar making? Want to understand what determines a guitar's specific tone and personality?
During Creative Strings, you will build a simple cigar-box style plucked strings instrument. You will use partially or fully prepared parts, depending on the sound project you'll design with Benoit's help.
Creative Materials Provided
- All of your instrument's basic parts
- A toolbox with small files, two chisels, a measuring tape, a pencil, a notebook and a glue spatula. You will have shared access to clamps, screwdrivers, sanding blocks, sanding paper, glue, two planers, two squares, callipers, two graters, two files, two scroll saws, two hand-held precision saws, an electric drill, a set of wicks, two workbenches (3 participants maximum per workbench) and stools.
What Should You Bring?
- Your creativity
- Basic woodworking skills
- Ability to correctly and safely use manual tools, including saws, drills, sanders, planers, chisels, screwdrivers, etc.
- Your finished or partially finished musical instrument. However, no instruments will be varnished during the workshop, as this step calls for more time than we'll have. Please note that there is no guarantee that you will finish your instrument, regardless of your talent and experience. The size of the project and the challenges encountered can greatly influence the time required to complete your instrument.
Who Should Take Part?
Available Dates 2019
- Several dates available from September 2015 to February 2016 (The workshop must be reserved at least two weeks prior to the desired starting date)
- More dates to be determined
- A short workshop is held over 3 days (7 hours per day).
- A long workshop is held over 5 days (7 hours per day).
- Maximum of 6 people
- The program can also be held in English upon request.